Thursday, February 24, 2005

The Ingredients from Spring




Spring is coming, there are so many sweet and fresh vegetable in the market now. Like the asparagus, they are so cheat, but they are sweet and crunch. How about the "snake gourd" - a Asian vegetable. I should feel lucky I can have this kind of sweet Asian vegetable in North America. I still remember I am dying with my mom's dish - snake gourd with clam in chicken broth. Clear, but delicious. I am not a good cook as my mom, but I still want to try this nice spring vegetable.



I found these fish in the market. They look nice and fresh to me. I think it will be very nice to put them in the soup, even though their size are small. I made a fish miso soup with winter melon. They soup did not disappointed me, they are sweet and tasty. The only thing is the fish are too small. They are all separated into parts in the soup. There are so many fish bones. I was almost get spiked.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi leafyu,
Are those "ji yu"? I've seen my mom's friend use them in watercress soups. They usually pan fry them and put them in fish bags. With the bags, you won't have the problem with disintegrated fish parts and bones. Shirley

leafyu said...

Dear Shirley
Nice suggestion!! Next time I will put the fish in the "fish bag"... I remember my mon did that before, I just forgot about that~